I first discovered hemp seeds about 2 years ago and have been addicted ever since (to say the least…)
I put these little crunchy seeds on E V E R Y T H I N G. Seriously. They go on everything. They add a delicious crunch to savoury salads, creaminess when blended in sauces/pestos, and a nutty bite and protein kick to desserts.
However, I don’t use them for flavour alone. As someone that hasn’t always been the biggest fan of protein powders (that chalky taste so many of them have just irks me…) and someone that likes to use whole food sources of nutrition when I can, discovering hemp seeds was a serious game-changer in my plant-based protein game.
I love finding new sources of plant based protein – especially when they are free of soy (which is a common allergen and usually genetically modified) and legumes (which can cause digestive issues for some people)
Hemp seeds are nutritional powerhouses.
- They contain all the essential amino acids (those which your body can’t synthesize. AKA the ones you must get from food) Your body needs the amino acids in protein to regulate and boost your mood, energy levels, muscle growth and so on…
- They are high in Omega-3 and Omega-6 fats.
- These fats (like amino acids) our bodies cannot make on their own and so we need to get them from food. The reason these are so special?
- Omega-3 fats are anti-inflammatory. Inflammation has been linked to many degenerative diseases – everything from arthritis to Alzheimer’s so eating to lower it on a regular basis is crucial.
- Omega-6 Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA) has been shown to help lower cholesterol and inflammation, help boost skin, hair and heart health. Also, GLA has been studied to help relieve PMS symptoms. Hallelujah amiright?!
- Incorporating these essential fatty acids is also extremely important for cognitive function. Your brain LOVES healthy fats
- If that’s not enough to convince you, they are also super high in fibre, phosphorus, magnesium, iron and zinc!
Here are some of my favourite ways to use hemp seeds:
my GET GLOWING SALAD. Which is packed with healthy fats from sesame and hemp seeds to help you, well…GLOW.
my SUGAR-FREE HEMP SEED & ALMOND BUTTER FUDGE. This fudge is probably the healthiest dessert you will ever eat. Not only is it sugar-free, but it is nutrient-rich! All thanks to the glorious little hemp seed.
These HEALTHIFIED CHICKEN CAESAR SALAD RICE PAPER ROLLS. This healtified ceasar salad dressing gets is creaminess from blended hemp seeds!
Sooo….If its not obvious by now, I am obsessed with hemp seeds. And as you can imagine, I was beyond stoked to become a Manitoba Harvest brand ambassador (because their hemp seeds are the bomb.com)
I want to help you guys out and get you some free hemp seeds to experiment with (and make all those yummy recipes listed above, okay?!)
So for a chance to win a LIT Manitoba Harvest Prize Pack, comment your favourite way to use hemp hearts OR how you plan to try them in the future!
If prize packs aren’t your thing, head over HERE and check out some of their products or more cool ways to use hemp seeds.
post sponsored by Manitoba Harvest